Tuesday, November 10, 2009

It's been a while....

Life has been crazy, but fun lately. We took the kids to Disney for Halloween weekend and then Wrigley and I took a road trip with my parents to Illinois while Jackson and Adam went camping. So, the challenge was put on hiatus for the last two weeks. So worth it, though, as we had so much fun trick-or-treating with Mickey and Wrigley and I got to harvest soy beans with my Uncle John in Illinois! What an experience! Support your local farmers:)
Needless to say, with 2 weeks of Jackson getting to eat Pb&J's and macaroni and cheese, last night was like starting over with my dinner challenge. I used the "expert tip" of re-introducing a food that was previously turned down by your child. Children's taste buds are ever changing, so what they dislike last week may be their favorite dish this week. So, Martha's (who needs no last name) Chicken Tetrazzini made a re-appearance last night on the dinner table. We got back from Illinois late Sunday night, so the chicken tetrazzini that I froze weeks ago came in very handy! Unfortunately, the tip did not work and Jackson chose not to dip his fork in the chicken tetrazzini, again. These tips never seem to work. I often wonder if they are really kid tested. I recently read on the cover of a parenting magazine that inside were kid-friendly recipes. Just what I need! I excitedly flipped to the page only to find recipes for fish tacos and meat-loaf. Really?!?! How old are these "kids"? Because I was 30 before I stopped holding my nose when I ate meat-loaf.
I did try something really cruel last night. Ice cream is a love of Jackson's, so half way through dinner I told him that if he ate half of what was on his plate, he could have a bowl. He said he would, and I quote, "think about it". While he was thinking about it, Wrigley ate ALL of his dinner. So, I served him a big heaping bowl of ice cream while he sat next to a very pitiful looking older brother. And, this is how different their eating habits are. Wrigley declined the bowl for more grapes! Jackson wanted to know who got the bowl of ice cream since he was choosing not to eat his dinner. I briefly though about grabbing a spoon and digging in, but I could hear that story being re-told in a therapy session years from now and opted to just pitch the bowl.
Something, eventually, has to work. Tonight is homemade Chicken Noodle Soup. Jackson's excitement of chicken noodle soup was quickly turned to disappointment when he discovered it wouldn't be out of a can. What has this world come to:)

Shea

No comments:

Post a Comment