Monday, October 26, 2009

A rough day.

Have you ever had "one of those days"? Today was one of those for me. Nothing major happened, just a bad day. And it is still going. I'll cut to the point of the day that centers around Jackson's dinner.
One of the few dishes I have perfected is Quiche. Adam and I have a cookbook from his grandmother's Georgia United Methodist Church fundraiser where all the congregates donated their best recipes. You can imagine how fabulous the recipes are and the quiche recipe is one of them. The great thing about the recipe is you can swap out the meat and veggie to make different variations. The original recipe is broccoli and bacon, but I have used sausage and mushrooms and it was just as good. In fact, I bought frozen spinach by mistake this week, so I swapped out one green vegetable for another. Long story short, Jackson did not eat at all. The first thing he rejected were the grapes and apple slices I put on the dinner table. Then immediately turned his nose up, correction-held his nose at the quiche (apparently he didn't like the smell). The fact that he didn't end up eating it doesn't bother me all that much. I remember being stubborn about not eating vegetables at his age and the quiche had obvious spinach. It is his attitude about the whole thing. Like he is personally offended that he is not being allowed to eat "his" meals, as he calls them. No regard for the amount of effort or time I slaved over dinner. Ok, it really isn't that difficult of a dish, but still! To make it all worse, the entire family meal time is focused on Jackson taking a bite. We tried to ignore it tonight and praise Wrigley for eating his portion, but Jackson kept bringing it back to him. Then he totally lied to Adam and told him he ate the whole thing. Luckily my husband can not be fooled by his devious plan and took a look in the garbage can. Sure enough, there was Jackson's portion sitting right on top. Not the sharpest knife when it comes to deception, thank goodness:) He was sent to his room for lying and wasting food. I threw in the wasting food part which I am sure Adam thought was a little petty. He didn't make the darn thing!
So, challenge is getting tougher, but I am not backing down! I will prevail!!!!!!

Shea

Cheddar-Broccoli Quiche Recipe (from the Treasured Recipes Cookbook of Snellville United Methodist Church)
10 oz frozen chopped broccoli, cooked & drained
2 cups (8oz) shredded cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
2 eggs, beaten
3 crisply cooked bacon slices, crumbled
1/2 tsp salt
dash pepper
9-inch unbaked pie shell
Drain broccoli well on absorbent paper. Toss cheese with flour. Add broccoli, milk, eggs, bacon salt and pepper. Mix well. Pour into pastry shell. Bake at 350 for 1 hour.

2 comments:

  1. That's too bad, Shea. I would've eaten it! But, as you say, there is good news: deception is not a strength of his. I'm thinking at this point, it's a war of wills...you will eventually win :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the words of encouragement! Definitely a war of wills-he is just so darn stubborn! I think a lot of it has to do with that it is one thing he has complete control over. He is well aware that I am not going to tie him down and shove the food in his mouth, so it gives him a sense of being in control. I am thinking he will be a total Type A control freak as he gets older. I can think of lots of people I know and love that are those types:)

    ReplyDelete