Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Foiled again....

With fish being on tonight's menu, I knew I had no chance of Jackson eating. So, to save us all a major headache, I agreed to let the kids eat Mac and Cheese. However, I added a little something to their dish. I used a play out of Mrs. Seinfeld's cookbook and steamed and pureed some butternut squash and mixed it in with the cheese (side note-next time I will buy jars of baby food instead. Too much work and not a big cost savings to steam and puree). Jackson, however, came home "starving" from school, ate the leftover portion of his lunch and therefore was not very hungry for dinner. UGH! I can't win! The one time I felt good about serving him a boxed dinner, he takes two bites and says he is full!
The tilapia was a minor hit with us adults. I must reiterate that I am not a very good cook. Have you ever heard that Kenny Chesney song about the newlywed husband who ate burnt dinners the whole first year? That was my husband, and after 8 years still is! He would never admit it, but I am just not a good cook. And the most upsetting thing is that I try really hard. Tonight's disaster was the asparagus. What should have been a bright and crispy side dish turned into a very salty, sad excuse for vegetables. You know how you can get a good crunch on a bite of asparagus? Well, mine were a soggy pile of shame. Adam kept asking, "What caused them to be so mushy? I didn't know asparagus could have this texture." And I have no idea what I did wrong. Cooked too long, too much lemon juice??? God love Adam for eating them, though! I was going to take pictures to post but was just too embarrassed. I will not give up, I will not give up....
Tomorrow is Bar-B-Que Chicken Fajitas. I promise pictures- no matter how bad the damage is:)

Shea

No comments:

Post a Comment