Monday, January 4, 2010

First dinner of the new year....

Back to normal life today. Which means back to my challenge of getting Jackson to eat more of a variety of foods. Specifically foods that provide some kind of nutrients. I found this great blog that offers weekly menus and BIG plus-she includes the grocery list! Love to get the time back that it usually takes me to read through my recipes for the week and organize the list:http://eatathomecooks.com/. There is a tab at the top of the blog for the menus. This week I am using Week 2 from last year. So, up first was Chicken Divan with broccoli, corn muffins and fruit salad. Overall, I am not a huge fan of the flavors in Chicken Divan, but I was able to eat about half without completely gagging. I know, you are probably thinking: Why make a dish that you know you don't like? Well, I am a rule/list follower. If the list says to make Chicken Divan first-I make Chicken Divan first. Notice that I also made the "suggested" side items. So, if you ever want/need me to do something for you, send me a list with rules and I will be at your beck and call!
Anyhoo....I knew that is was a long shot that Jackson would be eating this dinner. So, to ease the pain I decided to add things to his plate that I know he likes. His side items included goldfish and yogurt along with chicken. I didn't even attempt the broccoli. I knew I was pushing my luck with chicken drenched in sauce. This little trick seemed to work as he did eat some of the chicken. Of course, we also promised ice cream if he ate chicken which, I am sure, didn't hurt.
So, 2010 is off to a good start. My goals/resolutions this year revolve a lot around the kitchen. I want to eat healthier, keep the food costs as low as possible and encourage Jackson to eat healthier. How I am to accomplish this is all about planning and cooking! My husband and I have vowed to eat out as little as possible which will help the health resolution as well as the budget situation. What were your resolutions this year? Day 4....how are you doing so far?
According to the list, dinner tomorrow is Tilapia and Vegetables! Yummy:)

Shea

No comments:

Post a Comment