Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Day 2-Failure tastes Great!



Turns out I went from one extreme on the kid meter to the other. Pot Roast, mashed potatoes and peas-not appealing apparently. My mom is Queen B of Pot Roast. It is a family favorite and one I have never been able to duplicate. I had a craving and the humiliation from the last time I had attempted it had worn off, so I put it on the menu for the week. I told my husband as I was putting it in the oven that this will be my final attempt. If it didn't taste like mom's then I would give up making pot roast forever. Well, true to form, at 2pm this afternoon the pot roast was headed to the trash until a phone call to my mom convinced me it could be salvaged. I shredded the meat, which was my workout for the day since it was pretty much a rock and simmered it the rest of the day with a Lipton Onion and Mushroom Soup packet. AH-Mazing! At least according to the adults in the house...
Jackson didn't even take a bite. My younger son , who normally eats anything put in front of him, took one look and said "I don wan dis" and proceeded to leave the table. Jackson at least humored me and sat for 45 seconds before saying he would for-go dessert or food for the rest of the evening. Turns out, food must look appealing to a kid. I tried making the mashed potatoes into ghosts with peas as the eyes, it didn't work. I would agree that the meal wasn't easy on the eyes. It kind of reminded me of what a prisoner might see every evening. But, us adults were able to get past the image and enjoy a very delightful meal! Jackson gets a break tomorrow as we are having dinner with my parents who give into his every whim. So, I see McDonald's nuggets in his future. Thursday will be back to kid basics-Spaghetti and Meatballs!

No comments:

Post a Comment