Thursday, October 1, 2009

My new challenge


My 5 year old Jackson is as stubborn as kids come. He knows what he wants, why he wants it, when he wants it and usually can tell us how we can provide it to him. However, he is not a "Veruca Salt" by any stretch of the imagination. It is usually not material things he wants. More so, games he wants to play or a certain color shirt he wants to wear, or the position he wants to play on the baseball field. Again, he is not a spoiled little boy who turns blue holding his breath when he doesn't get his way. He is just head strong in what he wants. I actually find it admirable as I tend to "settle" for things that I never really wanted in the first place.
As stubborn as  Jackson is with what he wants, he is just as stubborn with what he doesn't want. More specifically food he doesn't want to eat. I used to believe that my lack of parenting skills were solely to blame for Jackson's unwillingness to try new foods. I felt like I didn't encourage tasting enough or was too quick to fix him what he would eat. I have recently decided, though, that his stubborn personality is also a component of the problem. I have tried several times to win the food battle, and due to a busy schedule and lack of stamina, have given up on numerous occasions. Recently, though, my concern regarding his eating habits is weighing more heavy on my mind and I have decided it is time to put an end to endless Kraft Mac and Cheese dinners for Jackson. 
Beginning Monday I will be a stay at home mom and will be able to dedicate more time to menu planning and preparations of home cooked meals. My challenge for myself is to be able to put one healthy meal on the table and have all members of my family eat without argument, bribing, negotiating or tears.  Can I do it?  Tune in Monday to see if Jackson will eat dinner.
I will be posting all recipes that I attempt and any parenting tactics I try. Feel free to suggest any recipes or tips you think might work. I can use all the help I can get! 

Shea

No comments:

Post a Comment